Published September 9, 2016 at 11:12
Each week 20 local children need a family so we need foster carers from all backgrounds to provide loving homes.
Lancashire County Council would particularly like to recruit foster carers who are able to care for:
- Brothers and sisters.
- Older children and teenagers.
- Children that will be in foster care long term.
- Children with additional needs. This might include behaviour that challenges.
- Parent and child placements – this is a different type of fostering where parents live with their children in foster carers’ homes, enabling them to stay together and develop a strong bond.
They welcome new foster carers from all different backgrounds, you only need to be over 21 and have a spare room to apply.
The contribution of foster carers provide is hugely valued and as such offers a generous support package. This includes:
- Substantial financial allowances with clear progression and extra allowances for birthdays and holidays.
- Enhanced payments for parent and child placements.
- Comprehensive training programme including the ‘Skills to Foster’ course and ongoing development opportunities.
- A social worker specifically allocated to you. You can expect to have regular meetings which are a chance for you to talk through any problems and share information about children in your care.
- Support groups for you and your family.
- Membership to the Fostering Network which is a great resource for foster carers.
Staying local also includes additional benefits such as:
- Lower travelling distances, for example to school and meetings with birth families.
- Links with Children’s Centres, schools and other professional services.
- The benefits of our knowledge and experience as our teams have often been working with the children’s families for a long time. We have a lot of important background knowledge which they can share with you.
- Finding the best possible match for both the child and your family. We work hard to identify areas like shared interests, pets and hobbies that will help build a bond and rapport between your family and the child.
If you’re interested in becoming a foster carer please visit the You Can Foster site and fill in the enquiry form.