Published July 8, 2019 at 13:40
Rossendale Council has welcomed government clarity following its announcement of which areas had got to the next round of the Future High Street fund.
The Council expressed its disappointment that Bacup’s bid had not progressed to the business case development stage despite earlier indications it had been successful.
The Council put in a bid to the fund in March following the development of an exciting new vision for the future of the town centre, called Bacup 2040.
The government clarified its position in a letter to the Council at 6pm saying that while Bacup was not successful, its bid had been selected to receive bespoke feedback with a view of submitting it again in a new round of funding in the new year.
Councillor Andrew Walmsley, Portfolio Holder for Resources, said:
“We are still bitterly disappointed we did not make the next round especially after we got excited following what appeared to be an announcement on national radio that we were successful.
“It’s a shame we only got official clarity from the government much later in the day rather than being told in advance of any announcements.
“A lot of time and effort went into developing the bid and I want to thank officers, residents, businesses and community groups for their effort in putting it together.
“While it was submitted by the Council, the bid was developed with the community of Bacup and I am proud with what we came up with as it forms the basis of exciting proposals to make Bacup the town we know it can be.
“I do have to say our efforts were hampered by the lack of detailed and clear guidance from government until very late on in the process.
“While we welcome any support we can get to improve our chances in securing resources we can’t rely on one funding stream so this Council will continue to ceaselessly search for the money we need to overcome the challenges the town faces and build on the superb work already completed. We will, of course, continue to work with the community as well.”